Monday, March 27, 2006

B positive

After a long period of missing out on blood drives, I finally made it to the institute and proudly signed up to donate. I don't know what it is, but I love donating blood. It makes me feel somewhat useful and they even give you cookies and juice. Plus... who wouldn't want my blood? It's freaking inspirational. B positive. heh

Here is where the tragedy lies. I have smallish veins. No good for sticking things into. It's hilarious to watch each person that takes my blood feel for the vein, and then feel some more... and some more... and some more. Today the girl even had to bring someone else over to see if they could actually use it.

They usually ask for an arm preference, and I usually ask for the left arm(as I wouldn't have to use that one as much) So they begin, and they feel away for something to poke. They then have to switch over to check the right arm and proceed in the same manner. Or they might start out on the right arm and think hmmm... maybe the other arm is better, only to check it and decide that the right arm is their only chance. Now when they ask for an arm preference it just makes me smile.

However smallish my veins, I gave blood and gave it well. Y'argh, tis true.

Comments:
Hey Michelle! I don't really share your love for giving blood. In my old days as a poor student I donated my plasma a couple of times. The first time I donated, the girl knicked my vein on the right arm. Then she did on the left arm. I walked around looking like a domestic abuse case for weeks with two huge bruises on the insides of my elbows....
good times.
 
Yeah, I was always jealous of you and your rampant blood donating. Just 'cause you managed to escape the family Hepatitus epidemic of '89. harumph.

Did I ever tell you about the companion who confronted me about my sexual history because she overheard me tell someone I'd had Hepatitus? heh.
 
Re: Thin veins

Maybe it would help if you were a the practical equivalent of Anatomy Man sans suit because during a lunar eclipse and alternating Tuesdays, every single one of your veins radiates freakishly through your sickly pale, translucent skin.

Oh wait, that's me.
 
Wow, your blood should be a motivational speaker... B positive... Thats poster worthy.
 
I didn't think this would happen, but I did feel really uncomfortable reading your blog. I guess I'm more squeamish then I thought. I reached for my neck and everything! I also remembered that time last year when they found your vein but it kept moving. Rolling over or something...yep, pretty funny.
 
I'm sorry to say that the TV show 24 has completely desensitized me to blood and gore. Good for you though!
 
Michelle, we sooooooo did not donate blood in Rhode Island!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?